MELVINS, who have a history of imaginative lineup changes, feature not one, but six different bass players on their appropriately titled new album “Basses Loaded”, due on June 3 via Ipecac Recordings.
The collection features Buzz Osborne and Dale Crover joined by NIRVANA’s Krist Novoselic, REDD KROSS’s Steve McDonald, BUTTHOLE SURFERS‘ J.D. Pinkus, BIG BUSINESS’s Jared Warren, MR. BUNGLE/FANTOMAS’s Trevor Dunn and Crover swapping the drum kit for bass (as in the MELVINS‘ 1983 iteration). The album’s nod to baseball, and the inclusion of the band’s own version of “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” is a natural one, with Buzz and Dale often spotted at games across the country.
Osborne discusses the new album, as well as the band’s forthcoming MIKE & THE MELVINS release “Three Men And A Baby” (April 1, Sub Pop) in an interview with Rolling Stone.
“Basses Loaded” track listing (bass player in parentheses):
01. The Decay Of Lying (Steve McDonald)
02. Choco Plumbing (Jared Warren)
03. Beer Hippie (Dale Crover, aka Melvins 1983 line-up)
04. I Want To Tell You (Steve McDonald)
05. Captain Come Down (JD Pinkus)
06. Hideous Woman (Steve McDonald)
07. Shaving Cream (Dale Crover, aka Melvins 1983 line-up)
08. Planet Distructo (Trevor Dunn, aka Melvins Lite line-up)
09. War Pussy (Steve McDonald)
10. Maybe I Am Amused (Krist Novoselic)
11. Phyllis Dillard (Dale Crover, aka Melvins 1983 line-up)
12. Take Me Out To The Ballgame (Dale Crover, aka Melvins 1983 line-up)
“Hideous Woman” can be streamed below.
MELVINS (Buzz, Dale and Steve McDonald) launch a North American tour, followed by a European outing, later this month (North American co-headlining dates with NAPALM DEATH and MELT BANANA opening begin March 26).
Photo credit: Mackie Osborne