Original KISS guitarist Ace Frehley recently spoke to Fuse about his solo covers set, “Origins Vol. 1”, which came out in April. You can now watch the chat below.
Regarding how he went about choosing which songs to cover, Frehley said: “I knew this album was coming, and every time I got an idea or heard a song that I said, ‘That might be a good one to do,’ I’d write it down. And maybe I had had, like, thirty songs and I tried to pick ones that I thought I could do live also; that was a contributing factor in my decision.”
He continued: “I originally wasn’t that excited about it, but once I started the recording process, it just snowballed.
“I’m really happy with the nine covers and three remakes of KISS songs. I think it’s a good package.”
“Origins Vol. 1” debuted at No. 23 on The Billboard 200, having shifted 16,000 equivalent album units in the week ending April 21. The CD features KISS frontman Paul Stanley joining Ace on FREE’s hit “Fire And Water”. This collaboration marks the first time that Ace and Paul appear on the same studio recording since KISS’s 1998 reunion album “Psycho Circus”. Other guests are Slash trading leads on THIN LIZZY’s classic “Emerald”, Lita Ford singing and playing lead on THE TROGGS staple “Wild Thing”, ROB ZOMBIE guitarist John 5 playing guitar alongside Ace as he sings his classic KISS composition “Parasite” for the very first time, as well as Jimi Hendrix’s “Spanish Castle Magic”, and PEARL JAM’s Mike McCready also plays guitar with Ace as he finally sings his KISS “Alive!” mainstay “Cold Gin”.
“Origins Vol. 1” track listing:
01. White Room (CREAM)
02. Street Fighting Man (ROLLING STONES)
03. Spanish Castle Magic (JIMI HENDRIX) (feat. John 5)
04. Fire And Water (FREE) (feat. Paul Stanley)
05. Emerald (THIN LIZZY) (feat. Slash)
06. Bring It On Home (LED ZEPPELIN)
07. Wild Thing (THE TROGGS) (feat. Lita Ford)
08. Parasite (KISS) (feat. John 5)
09. Magic Carpet Ride (STEPPENWOLF)
10. Cold Gin (KISS) (feat. Mike McCready)
11. Till The End Of The Day (THE KINKS)
12. Rock And Roll Hell (KISS)